Earning Honors Credit

Students have three ways to earn honors credit at Reading Area Community College:

Honors Courses

A student can enroll in designated honors courses. Some, such as The Environment (ENV 131) and
English Composition I (COM 122) are seminar versions of General Education courses. Other seminars, with more focused topics, such as Intercultural Communication (ANT 200) also count as General Education courses, as well as electives in many RACC majors.

Honors Contracts

A student can enroll in a standard RACC course and arrange with the instructor to complete different or additional work. The individual arrangement with the instructor is written as a contract. Forms needed for the contract can be obtained in room B513 or downloaded here:

Honors contracts are subject to the willingness of individual instructors to participate and to the approval of both the appropriate division chairperson and the Honors Committee.

A maximum of 8 contract hours may be applied toward an Honors Diploma.

Independent Study

A student can earn 1-4 honors credits for an independent study course proposed and carried out under the direction of a faculty mentor.

An independent study may involve in-depth research, creative works, internships, and study abroad. The time invested in an independent study course will be similar to the time required for a course of comparable credit.

A maximum of 6 independent study credits may be applied toward an Honors Diploma.

Students interested in learning more about independent study should read the forms below:

For more information: Contact Dr. Pamela A.R. Blakely, Honors Program Coordinator
610-372-4721 (ext. 5452)