Medical Transcriptionist Diploma
The Medical Transcriptionist Diploma Program is designed to provide students with the skills necessary to obtain employment as medical transcriptionists. Graduates are prepared to work in doctors’ offices, hospitals or clinics with the option of transcribing at home. All course work may later be applied to a Certificate or an Associate in Applied Science degree if the student desires.
Required Program of Study
|Course Number||Semester||Course Title||Credits|
|OFT120||Machine Dictation & Transcription||3|
|MGT215||Fall||Human Relations in Business||3|
|OFT240||Medical Terminology & Transcription||3|
|OFT241||Spring||Advanced Medical Transcription||3|
|Total Credit Hours Required for the Diploma||21|
Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate proficiency in keyboarding of business letters, memos, reports, and tables at a high degree of speed and accuracy.
- Apply basic language skills associated with the parts of speech, sentence formations, numerical expression, capitalization, punctuation, and word division rules to business correspondence.
- Transcribe from various kinds of original communication, such as handwritten copy, printed copy, and voice-recorded dictation.
- Proofread and edit typed/keyed copy, including transcription of machine dictation, with a high degree of accuracy and correctness.
- Work independently, with others, or in self-directed work teams to demonstrate effective interpersonal and problem-solving skills, attitudes, and work habits that contribute to organizational goals.
- Demonstrate a high degree of accuracy in applying correct grammar, usage, and style when transcribing documents from dictated audio tapes that use medical terminology
Please note: These programs can be pursued on a part-time basis.
Appropriate placement test scores, or the completion of certain developmental courses, are required for all programs of study. Additional prerequisites may be necessary for some courses and can be found in the course descriptions section of the catalog.
It is recommended that students confer with their advisor when selecting electives.