Nanoscience Technology Associate in Applied Science Degree
Your Pathway to a Career in Nanotechnology - PPT 2.64 MB
This curriculum, in conjunction with the Pennsylvania State University Nanofabrication Manufacturing Technology Program, prepares students for careers as skilled technicians for manufacturers utilizing nanofabrication technology. This discipline includes biotechnology, automation, miniaturization, integration, optics, robotics, and information systems.
NOTE: Select the play button to view an important message from Governor Edward G. Rendell. To download the movie, right click the "Nano.mov" link and select "Save Target As...". Nano.mov - 750 KB
Required Program of Study
|Course Number||Semester||Course Title||Credits|
|ORI102||Fall||College Success Strategies||2|
|CHE150||Chemistry I (Fall Only)||4|
|CHE155||Chemistry II (Spring Only)||4|
|HUM - -||Humanities Elective||3|
|NSC180||Fall||Electronics for Nanoscience||4|
|NSC200||Nanoscience Seminar (Fall Only)||1|
|SOC125||The Individual and Society||3|
|Capstone Semester at Penn State-Main Campus|
|NSC211||Materials, Safety & Equipment Overview for Nanofabrication||3|
|NSC212||Basic Nanofabrication Process||3|
|NSC213||Thin Film in Nanofabrication||3|
|NSC214||Lithography for Nanofabrication||3|
|NSC215||Materials Modification in Nanofabrication||3|
|NSC216||Characterization, Packaging, & Testing
of Nanofabricated Structures
|Total Credit Hours Required for the Program||65|
Upon successful completion of this program, the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate effective technical writing skills.
- Apply statistical methods for accuracy, precision, and error analysis as they pertain to quality control, measured results, and calculated results.
- Utilize computer applications, including spreadsheets, word processing, and online communications, for processing data.
- Explain basic scientific principles related to the behavior of matter at the atomic and macroscopic levels in chemical, biological, and mechanical systems.
- Demonstrate necessary skills to function as a manufacturing technician in nanofabrication.
- Demonstrate proficiency in operating state of the art nanofabrication equipment.
- Demonstrate proficiency in identifying component and system level problems.
- Apply the concepts of the nanofabrication process related to advanced electronic and the latest nano-level manufacturing technologies.
Please note: These programs can be pursued on a part-time basis.
Appropriate placement test scores, or the completion of certain developmental courses, are required for all programs of study. Additional prerequisites may be necessary for some courses and can be found in the course descriptions section of the catalog.
It is recommended that students confer with their advisor when selecting electives.