Participants for the Upward Bound program are selected using the following criteria:
- Family income must meet federal eligibility guidelines.
- U.S. citizenship or permanent resident.
- Be a current Reading High School or Reading Intermediate High School student in 9th, 10th or 11th grade.
- Have a genuine interest in and the potential for success in high school and post-secondary education.
- Be a potential first-generation college graduate (neither parent has a four-year college degree).
- Have at least a 2.0 grade point average upon entry into the program.