Send a cover letter, resume, and three (3) professional references from previous supervisors, and one (1) professional reference from a colleague, to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please indicate the job code MC-HMBO in the subject line of your email.
After sending in your documents, please fill out the online Job Applicant Identifier form. RACC is an equal opportunity employer. In compliance with government regulations we are required to record numbers of job applicants by sex and ethnic category. We ask that you indicate your race or national origin and sex, but you are not required to provide this information. This information will not be kept with your application and will be used only in accordance with state and federal regulations.
If you are chosen for this position, a background check will be required. Full details regarding the background check are available here.
|Title:||House Manager and Box Office Coordinator|
|Apply by date:||
$42,000 - $52,00 per year
Hours of work for this position will be flexible based on programming in the Miller Center and will include evening and weekends. Schedule will be established through the VP for College Advancement & Executive Director of the Foundation and will be developed as far in advance as possible.
The Miller Center for the Arts is a 500-hundred seat performance hall. The House Manager & Box Office Coordinator is responsible for the daily operational management of the Miller Center for the Arts Box Office and for providing courteous and prompt service to patrons, including VIPs, and members of the college and community. This person is also responsible for the social media footprint of the Miller Center, mainly utilizing Facebook & Instagram, including regular posting and responding to communications through these platforms.
The box office uses a computerized cloud-based ticketing software and the House Manager & Box Office Coordinator is responsible for all aspects of ticketing for events taking place in the Miller Center. The House Manager & Box Office Coordinator assists in supervising all box office volunteers and oversees all cash handling, record-keeping, and reporting processes in compliance with the policies and procedures of Reading Area Community College.
Additionally, the position is also responsible for the accurate and timely reconciliation and accounting of daily deposits, completion of event reports, maintenance of ticket stock inventory, as well as submission of periodic reports that track patron purchases, subscription/series sales and box office income from fees and charges.
The position exercises a significant degree of autonomy in performing these duties, and reports to the VP For College Advancement & Executive Director of the Foundation in developing and implementing box office procedures.
Position requires frequent local travel; employee must have own car or access to ready transportation.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
Front of House Manager Duties:
- Ensure excellent customer service from front-of-house staff.
- Effectively oversee the Box Office during shifts, including managing break periods, work load, and problem solving as it relates.
- Collect all documents pertaining to rentals including conflict of interest and W-9 forms.
- Lead Usher for all public events.
- Staff and organize all public performances.
- Provide an excellent patron experience at all performances.
- Manage printed program distribution and secure programs and other patron materials.
- Maintain the appearance of the lobby and all public areas.
- Resolve conflicts with any patron issues.
- Hire, train, schedule and/or supervise other Miller Center Front of House staff
- Recruit and coordinate volunteer ushers.
- Coordinate performance timelines with production manager, including pre-show chat, curtain speeches, and intermission.
- Maintain ticket-scanning equipment and hearing-impaired devices.
- Complete and distribute house report for each performance, if required.
- Provide leadership in emergency situations, including fire alarm and inclement weather warnings.
- Work closely with management to ensure proper staff is in place for all performances.
- Communicate with Miller Center members ensuring continual, timely and accurate communication with all members.
- Work to ensure all house management needs are met.
Box Office Duties:
- Create and manage all events and packages in ticketing system.
- Process all orders for tickets for each production, purchased online, via telephone, by mail or in person, through ticketing system.
- Manage box office during regular hours and during performances, on evening and weekends, preparing Will Call, sell tickets, and resolve problems, as needed.
- Serve as point of contact all event cancellations and postponements and follow event cancellation procedure.
- Take responsibility for all cash transactions in the box office, including concessions and merchandising at events.
- Keep all information on the Miller Center webpages current under the supervision of the college’s webmaster.
- Verify that all sales records in the computer are up-to-date, and that all orders are processed correctly.
- Respond to all box office inquiries.
- Report current ticket sales.
- Report regularly all sales and make deposits to Cashier’s Office.
- Keep the outgoing message on the box office line up-to-date.
- Educate other staff on box office policies and procedures, including system updates and changes.
- Ensure that new patrons are added to the mailing lists.
- Participate in the training, and organization of volunteers.
- Perform other related duties as required.
- Coordinate all digital media posts on behalf of the Miller Center, including website content, Facebook, Instagram and other platforms.
- Work with VP For College Advancement & Executive Director of the Foundation to create timely communications messaging.
- Participate in the compilation of the season brochure: research artist, gather promotional images, write copy, and coordinate production with the VP For College Advancement & Executive Director of the Foundation and graphic designer.
- Design promotional materials, such as posters, envelope inserts, bi-annual newsletter, and others.
- Assist in creating marketing and programming strategies for developing patron base.
- Make recommendations for program changes, benefit additions, etc.
- Attend sales, marketing and production meetings and provide team updates regarding training, morale performance and work progress.
Directly supervise Miller Center Front of House Staff including box office staff part-time employees and volunteers assigned to this position. Carry out supervisory responsibilities in accordance with College policies, Collective Bargaining Agreements and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance, and taking corrective action with employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education and/or Experience:
- High School Diploma
- “Live” event planning experience
- Bookkeeping / budgeting experience
- Managing social media experience
- Prior customer service experience
- Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree
- Prior Supervisory experience
- Experience with ticket-based software system
- Website editing knowledge
- Bilingual: English/Spanish
- Proven ability to lead a team
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Adobe Photoshop required
Other Skills and Abilities:
- Energetic and charismatic with strong persuasive personality related to promoting venues and ticket sales
- Excellent written skills, as well as the ability to communicate effectively and positively via telephone, e-mail, face to face or using other media and public speaking skills
- Excellent time management skills
- Strong organizational and planning skills
- Strong customer services attitude and skills
- Ability to work with volunteers as well as other team members from all departments and help promote a positive working atmosphere
- Flexibility to work in support of a performing arts venue hours
- Ability to create and edit effective, engaging communication for various target groups.
- Ability to read and interpret documents such as safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals. Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees of the organization.
- Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
- Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations:
- Valid PA Driver’s License
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is occasionally required to walk and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 40 pounds.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.