Reading Area Community College will be celebrating our graduating students through virtual commencement activities on the 2020 commencement website. The website will not go live until Friday, May 8 at 2PM.
Graduation is not automatic, but it is free to all eligible students. Once you are ready to graduate from RACC you must notify RACC of this intent by applying for graduation through Self-Service. Log into myRACC, click on "Self-Service" and select the box labeled "Graduation Application".
RACC has 3 graduations. The Ceremony is only in May. Anyone graduating in December is invited to return the following May to walk in the Ceremony.
Moving? In the event you will be leaving the area following graduation, please email Holly Kline. Include your ID number, the address to which you wish your diploma mailed, and a contact phone number. All debts to the College must be paid before diplomas will be released.
|Graduation Month||Apply Starting||Diploma Mailed||Notes|
|May||January 1st||Diploma mailed no later than August 15th||If you apply between January and March 15th you are guaranteed to have your name in the program. If you apply between the first Tuesday in April to the actual date of graduation, you are not guaranteed to have your name in the program. However, you may still walk in the ceremony and your name will be called on stage.|
|August||June 1st||Diploma mailed no later than August 15th||If you applied for May graduation and are approved by the Dean to complete summer courses, you do not need to apply. (Your application will be moved from May to August.)|
|December||September 1st||Diploma mailed no later than February 15th||Anyone graduating in December is invited to return the following May to walk in the Ceremony. Keep watching the website in January for more information.|
Ordering a transcript with degree on it:
Option 1: Complete the form in the Records office and check the box marked 'Hold for Degree Earned' statement. These requests will be filled first. You will be called to come pick it up. $6.00 fee.
- Option 2: Complete the request online, make sure you check the box to Hold for Graduation. These requests will also be filled first. These will be mailed/emailed per your request. $6.00+ fee.
General Information - NEW FOR 2020
- You must first preregister for your final semester so that your program evaluation includes all the courses you plan to take.
- Make an appointment with your Academic Advisor to review your program evaluation and any waivers you might need. Do this 1 to 2 semesters before you believe you are eligible so that if you need a class you will be able to register for it.
- Application Process
All students should apply for graduation online through Self-Service. Log into myRACC, click on "Self-Service" and select the box labeled "Graduation Application".
- For May Only:
- Please order your Cap and Gown. THERE IS NO COST FOR YOUR CAP AND GOWN!
- The deadline to order your cap and gown is Friday, April 24th. All orders will be mailed to you in time for the virtual commencement which is scheduled for Friday, May 8 at 2:00 p.m. All graduates are encourage to participate in the graduate seflie campaign by taking your best selfie with your “selfie card,” and submit it by April 28 to Katherine Plesnarski. All our graduate selfie photos will be posted under RACC 2020 Graduates on RACC’s virtual commencement page soon to be released at https://commencement.racc.edu.
- For May Only:
Watch your Ravens email for a reply regarding eligibility for graduation from your area Dean. Your diploma will be sent via US Mail to your home address.
- WHEN: May 8, 2020
- WHERE: The Santander Arena, 700 Penn St., Reading, PA. Please use the Penn Street entrance.
- TIME: 2:00PM - Please follow instructions upon your arrival.There will be ambassadors available to direct you!
Commencement is a special event. You should dress appropriately for the occasion (jeans, shorts, sneakers are not considered appropriate attire).
10 Reasons to Speak at Graduation
Reading Area Community College annually selects a graduating student to speak at commencement. The chosen student speaker will have the opportunity to represent the graduating class at commencement.
A reception with light refreshments will be held for graduates and their guest to honor the graduating class immediately following the ceremony.
The commencement ceremony will be broadcast live on the college website. Please note: In case of technical difficulties the broadcast will run “on demand” a few days later.
The Santander Arena does not allow any types of balloons to be brought in for the ceremony. Please see the www.santander-arena.com for other information regarding their policies for entering the arena and allow extra time for arrival for the ceremony.
If you need accommodations due to a disability, notify Judy Rubright at email@example.com. Interpreters for hearing impaired individual(s) will be present during the graduation ceremony.
Please refer to the following: https://readingparking.com/event-parking/
Graduates / Transportation & Parking
Parking is limited. All graduates should park on the RACC Campus and use the shuttle service provided by the college. The first student shuttle will leave the front entrance of Berks Hall at 12:30 PM. Students are expected to be at The Santander Arena by 1pm. Shuttle service back to campus begins at 3:30pm with the last one departing at 4:45pm.
If you prefer to park on campus and walk to The Santander Arena please make sure you allow enough time to arrive no later than 1pm. The shuttle service is for students and staff only!
Guest Tickets / Parking
Tickets are NOT necessary for the graduation ceremony at The Santander Arena for you or your guests. The doors will open to the public beginning at 1pm. You are welcome to invite as many guests as you like.
- GUEST PARKING INFORMATION WILL BE AVAILABLE AT A LATER DATE!
- WHEN: Tuesday, April 14th (9:00-6:00) and Wednesday, April 15th (9:00-5:00)
- WHERE: Student Bookstore in Berks Hall
- Cap/Gown/Tassel and Gratitude Stole Pick up
- Honor Cord Distribution
- PTK Stole and Tassel Distribution
- A vendor will be there to sell a variety of graduation items (optional announcements, frames, etc.)
Graduation Honors/Honor Cords
The College recognizes an Academic Honors Group at graduation. The Academic Honors List includes the names of graduates who have earned 30 hours or more of their coursework at Reading Area Community College and earned a cumulative grade point average of 3.50 or better. Pre-college level developmental classes will be excluded from calculation of the official graduation GPA and from consideration of graduation honors.
Honor students will be recognized as follows:
- Cum Laude: 3.50-3.74 cumulative grade point average
- Magna Cum Laude: 3.75-3.94 cumulative grade point average
- Summa Cum Laude: 3.95-4.00 cumulative grade point average
These cords will be distributed at the Graduation Fair or email Judy Rubright to arrange for an alternate time if you are unable to attend the Graduation Fair.
The Student Government Association has purchased a Gratitude Stole for each graduate and they will be distributed with your cap and gown. In addition to making the graduation attire more attractive, these stoles may be used as gifts of gratitude for someone who has made a difference in your time at RACC and helped you achieve graduation. You may write a personal note on it with a Sharpie and AFTER the ceremony, present it to the person you choose. Or you may keep it yourself as a graduation memento. Please remember to wear it for the graduation ceremony, and do not give it away until after the ceremony. Additional stoles may be purchased through the Bookstore for $29.98
Phi Theta Kappa Members
Please contact Danelle Bower at extension 5451 or B-513 if you wish to purchase the gold stole and tassel for the graduation ceremony!
The PTK stole and tassel may be picked up at the graduation fair. Please pre-pay in the cashier’s office and show your receipt at the Graduation Fair.
Honor Program Students
Students who complete 15 HONORS CREDITS WITH AN OVERALL GPA OF 3.25 OR HIGHER IN ALL HONORS COURSES may apply for an Honors Certificate and Honors Diploma. If you have any questions please contact Dr. Pamela Blakeley.