What is the Advantage-TRIO Program?
The RACC Advantage-Trio Program is federally-funded through the TRIO Student Support Services (SSS) Grant. By virtue of this grant program, RACC Advantage-Trio team is committed to serve students who are: first-generation, low-income, disabled, and have the need for academic tools, strategies or support.
TRIO Student Support Services Programs are located at over 1000 colleges nation-wide. All TRIO programs seek to enhance students' experience through academic skill building, goal attainment, leadership development, financial literacy, cultural enrichment, future college preparation, and through fostering a supportive learning community.
The success of our Advantage-TRIO participating students is measured by their academic achievements, accomplishment of set goals, completion of degrees, transfers to 4-year colleges, strong student self-advocacy skills and a strong understanding of financial literacy.
Eligibility requirements to join Advantage-TRIO Program
Since the Advantage-Trio Program must follow the federal mandates of the grant, to participate in, and receive Advantage-TRIO services, students must be a U.S. Citizen or U.S. Permanent Resident, be an enrolled student at Reading Area Community College, and meet one of the following:
- be a "first-generation" college student (parent or guardian has not obtained a four-year degree)
- have an income eligibility, as determined by the Federal Government guidelines: Eligible income levels
- be a person with a documented physical or mental disability
The Advantage-TRIO Team partners with our students, to emphasize the importance of educational planning and commitments, life-long financial literacy, and works with them in exploring career opportunities and next steps. Our team extends a personalized approach to delivering strategies, and tools to help inspire and support students in their pursuit of a college degree, transitioning to a 4-year college, and/or movement into the workforce.
(Services are extended to each student for up to 4 years, federally mandated)
We ensure our commitment to meeting our grant objectives by:
- holding advising appointments and meetings with students throughout each semester
- hosting targeted workshops, educational and cultural events, and trips
- providing scholarships (for qualified students) *
- transportation bus passes*
- Raven's Café vouchers*
- Tickets to Miler Performing Center events
*based on funding availability
What is Required of Students?
- Attend first appointment with Support Services Specialist; sign Rights and Responsibility form; complete MAPS
- Schedule and attend advising/coaching sessions each semester with Student Support Specialist and follow plans for success
- Maintain a "good standing" with the college (academic GPA 2.0+ and no discipline actions)
- Attend workshops and events offered to gain skills, knowledge, or to simply experience things that may be new or fun
What is the next step to joining Advantage-TRIO?
- Complete an application by scanning the QR code, or visit this link.
Famous TRIO Alumni
Oprah Winfrey- Actor, public talk-show host, journalist, author, and philanthropist.
Alumnus of Trio Upward Bound, Lincoln School, Milwaukee.
Viola Davis- Emmy, Grammy, Oscar, and Tony Award-Winning Actress and Author.
Alumnus of Trio Student Support Services and Upward Bound, Rhode Island College
Hector Balderas- Attorney General of New Mexico, President, Northern New Mexico College.
Alumnus of Trio Student Support Services, New Mexico Highlands University
Franklin Chang-Diaz- First Hispanic Astronaut and Chairman and CEO, Ad Astra Rocket Company.
Alumnus of Trio Student Support Services, University of Connecticut
A.C. Green- Former NBA Player.
Alumnus of Trio Student Support Services, Oregon State University
José M. Hernandez- Former Astronaut, NASA.
Alumnus of Trio Student Support Services, University of the Pacific
Gwendolynne Moore- U.S. House of Representatives, Wisconsin — 4th Congressional District (2005 to Present).
Alumnus of Trio Student Support Services, Marquette University
Harry Lee Williams- President and CEO, Thurgood Marshall College Fund
Alumnus of Trio Student Support Services, Appalachian State University